We build newsletters for clients all the time. Here are some tips which we have found really help to take your email newsletters to the next level, and increase readership.
- Post the actual articles on your website, then only show a small extract within the newsletter, so users need to visit your website to view the full article. This will enhance the other services on your website and get people going there. Once you’ve done the above, you can then view your opens and views within MailChimp to see which articles had the most clicks, so you can focus on what interests your users most.
- If you want to be really tricky with newsletters, you could send two versions, one to half of your subscribers and the other to the other half, then see which one gets the most opens and clicks. This is called A/B testing and is fun to play with, if you want to see what appeals to your users and what works best.
- Brand the newsletter to match your website and social media, so the logo matches and users can immediately recognise that it’s from you.
- Play with different subjects prefixing the subject with something different/quirky/fun each time.
- At the bottom have a big callout (button) to ” Forward this to a friend “, or something in your own words, related to your industry.
Let us know if you have more ideas, or which ones of these you have found useful.